Question: Sometimes my Outlook email client doesn’t show the online status of contacts for Skype for Business. How do I fix it?
Answer: Microsoft Outlook usually syncs with Skype for Business or Lync communication software to display the current status of individuals. However, there are times when the status may not show. Here are various reason why this can happen and the steps to fix the problem.
Outlook Not Showing Skype Status Causes
The most common reason why Outlook may not be showing your contacts’ Skype online status is due to the programs starting at different times during a computer startup. Skype for Business or Lync usually automatically starts during startup. If you happen to open Outlook before the Skype for Business or Lync started, Outlook may not be able to fetch the status of your contacts. The solution to fixing this problem is as follows:
- Ensure that Skype for Business or Lync is running.
- Exit Outlook Email by clicking on File > Exit or clicking on the close button.
- Restart Outlook.
- Outlook should now display the Skype or Lync status of your contacts.
Another reason why Outlook may no be properly displaying the status of your Skype for Business or Lync contacts is due to Skype or Lync not running in the background or you signed out from Skype for Business or chose to appear Offline. To fix this, follow these steps:
- Start Skype for Business or Lync in case the software wasn’t running.
- Sign in to Skype for Business or Lync.
- Close Outlook.
- Restart Outlook.
- Outlook should now display the Skype status of your contacts.
Yet another reason maybe because Outlook is currently set to work offline. If this option is enabled, Outlook disconnects from the network and fails to display the status of Skype for Business or Lync contacts. Here are the steps to follow to get out of offline mode:
- Click on Send/Receive tab on Outlook Ribbon.
- Click on Work Offline icon to disable it.