Question from James: I downloaded some files through Skype but I can’t find them anymore. Is there a folder where these files are stored?
Thanks for your question James. Yes, there are specifc folders which contain the pictures and files you download through Skype. This post will guide you through locating these folders used by Skype.
Where Does Skype Store Pictures?
Any pictures or snapshots taken using Skype will by default be stored in the following folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Skype\SkypeUserName\Pictures. The “username” is the login name you use to login to the computer. The “SkypeUserName” is your Skype login username. Note, AppData is a hidden folder. Before you can access this folder, you will first need to change a setting in Windows Explorer to view hidden files. Here are the steps to enable hidden files and folders:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Click on File > Change Folder and Search Options. A dialog box will open.
- Click on View tab.
- Under Advanced Settings, scroll down to locate Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives radio button and select it. Click OK. Hidden files will now become visible in your computer.
If you are using an Android device, by default the downloaded pictures will be stored in your device’s Download folder. The Download folder in Android can be accessed via My Files > All Files > Device Storage > Download.
Where Does Skype Store Downloaded Files?
Downloaded files are stored in a seperate folder in the computer. Navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Skype\My Skype Received Files. The “username” is the login name you use to login to the computer.
Where Does Skype Store Voicemails?
Skype voicemails are stored in the following folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Skype\SkypeUserName\voicemail.
How to Change the Default Download Folder in Skype
There is a way to change the default folder where the pictures and files are saved into. This can be done by following these steps:
- Login to your Skype Account
- Click Tools > Options
- Click on IM & SMS
- Under IM Settings, click on Show advanced options
- Locate When I Receive a File section. You can choose whether to choose a specific folder each time a file is downloaded or change the default download folder.
- Click SAVE